The benefits of cosmetics and toiletries are many and Cosmetic Scientists are skilled at developing products to meet these needs.
• Skin condition can be improved by application of preventative and treatment cosmetics. This includes moisturisation, tone, wrinkle and blemish reduction associated with skin ageing.
• Symptoms of acne can be reduced.
• Skin can be protected from sun damage by appropriate use of sunscreen products.
• Antiperspirants and Deodorants are effective in reducing perspiration and body odours.
• Skin Fragrance can be used to elicit strong positive emotion.
• Hair can be cleaned with shampoo conditioned and treated to enhance its appearance.
• Shaded Products – colour cosmetics such as foundation, lipstick, eye, nail and lip products are used to enhance the appearance.
• Dental products, such as toothpaste and oral washes work to clean and reduce odour.
• Soaps cleanse the skin and help to reduce bacteria.
Cosmetics impart benefits to an individual. Apart from the more often cited physiological benefits there are very real psychological and social benefits to be gained from the use of cosmetics. It is these benefits that ensure cosmetic products are, and will remain, an integral part of life.